Wednesday 1 July 2009

Wakey, wakey EPE

I'm disappointed...

Those who subscribe to our glossy publication know that the subscription fee is paid for a positive magazine. As editor I believe that good money should not be spent to read about my own personal views regarding the Elvis world, especially if I'm having a moan. But, this blog is free and you don't pay for it, so here goes...

The flyer designed and distributed by EPE to encourage fans to visit Memphis for Elvis Week next month has just arrived. It's packed full of impersonator competitions / photos. There's karaoke and impersonators. And of course, impersonators.

It makes me feel that I've made the right decision to go to Spain with my family this year instead. As far as I'm concerned, EPE are making it clear that "Elvis" is not at the top of their list of attractions, and therefore keeping people like me from finding any reason to attend.

Come on EPE, you're rapidly getting a very pink and fluffy reputation!!!

UPDATE...

So, today the latest EPE catalogue arrives. Mickey Mouse dressed in a jumpsuit, Elvis pyjamas and flip-flops. No mention of Ken Sharp's forthcoming book Elvis: Vegas '69. Too sensible perhaps?

So, to calm me down, I begin to flip through the local paper. To my horror, I'm greeted with a full-page colour photograph of an Elvis impersonator. Instead, I decide to take a look through the supplement that dropped out on the floor... Another impersonator, looking like a sweaty Jim Brennan (from EastEnders) in a wig. I need to shut myself away in a dark room and listen to As Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis through my headphones. It's a great live concert by a guy called Elvis Presley... remember him?

...end of moan.

Could this be the reason why many fans now prefer to stay away from the Graceland area...